Sunday, July 17, 2011

Merge Replication bug in SQL Server 2008 R2

Sometime when I see these kind of fatal errors, I started wondering what the hell QA department is doing at MS?

Last week I encountered this error while viewing conflicts in merge replication:

"GUID is neither a data column nor a data relation for table summary" 

I searched on internet every where about this error but no luck. I searched all great books on replication but again no luck.

Ultimately I decided to approach Microsoft.

And ...Guess what! This reason of this error was publication name.

If you have DOT(.) in your publication name, for example "MyPublication1.2.3" then you wont be able to view and resolve any conflicts.

So Microsoft guy came back to me and told me that only way to resolve is to drop and rename the publication without DOT(.).

Yes again huge outage for my client but the morale of the story is:
Make sure when you test something lke replication in your test lab, You name your publication and other configure other settings exactly same as you plan when move to production.

Puneet

No comments:

Post a Comment